It's a finish! After several nights of tediously removing the tissue paper from the back, and a few undecided moments of border fabrics, my blue spools mini quilt is at home, gracing a wood slat bench in my living room.
In late February I was the lucky recipient of a giveaway for participating in Humble Quilts Midwinter Blues sew along... six gorgeous blue fabric fat quarters, and I've been hoarding them ever since! I used the brightest blue in the bunch for the narrow border and I love the pop of blue framing the spools together. I must have auditioned at least 15 different fabrics for the wide borders, finally deciding on 4 different muted gold prints, simply because I didn't have enough of any one of them to border all the way around. The binding is black with a bit of red in it. Simple cross hatch machine quilting, a quick run through the washer, a tumble in the dryer, and I can check off a June finish... just in the nick of time!
The bottom of a mesh waste basket holds the evidence of several nights of tearing off the tissue paper foundation pieces. The Band-Aid played a role as well. I use sharp tweezers to remove the pesky little pieces from underneath the pressed seams. I got a bit close to my index finger...
The finished size of my new mini is 20.5 inches by 23 inches. This fun little pattern is Scrap Happy Spools, a Little Bits pattern by Cindi Edgerton. Click here for more information.
I cannot lie... EPP has taken control of any spare stitching moments I can muster. I'm still working on the paths for my Stars in the Garden project. The 3/8 inch paper hexies and the path fabric precuts (precut by me), are easy to take with me and work on when the opportunity presents itself. Slow and steady progress...
I'm a member of a small group of 1st Saturday of the Month stitchers who dedicate the time to the production of Lucy Boston Blocks. The arrival of summer has altered those Saturday plans... vacations and busy lives don't always make room for scheduled get together time! I have four Lucy Boston blocks completed, one with the path fabric honeycombs sewn around it, because I just couldn't wait to get a glimpse of how it would look! Four more blocks are ready to piece together... perfect for evening hand sewing!
|Each of the containers holds the honeycombs for a block.|
My color theme consists of primarily brown, red, and beige.
I have been admiring the EPP diamond stars that Sandra, a stitching friend, has been making. Every month she comes to our Threads meeting with more beauties to share. Some are fussy cut and some just simply show off the beauty of the fabric without the need for fussy cutting. I have several half yard cuts of Judie Rothermel's Dressing Gown fabrics, purchases on line last summer. I used just small bits of some of the prints for a mini nine patch quilt you can see here. I've been searching for a pattern that would show off the loveliness of these fabric prints. After drooling over Sandra's diamond stars since the first of the year, I decided to steal her vision... one of the best ways to feature fabrics that don't require fussy cutting, is EPP six point, two inch diamond paper pieces.
The four diamond stars on the right are prints from the Dressing Gown collection... the two on the left are from my stash of floral prints. Only the blue diamond is fussy cut. There is a plan... I want to use floral prints for each of the diamond stars. Another on-going EPP project... lovin' every minute of it!