Wednesday, August 27, 2014

It's been awhile!

 
Really?  It's the end of August?  How did that happen?

 
Hot and humid summer days seem to be the perfect time for brightly colored fabrics and fun designs.  I've been wanting to make Great Granny Square blocks since they popped up all over quilt blogs... two years ago!  And so it goes... I'm usually the last one to the show!





 I found a cute pattern for mini GGS blocks, using charm squares here.  I got busy over a long stretch of evenings after work.  Once I started I couldn't stop!  The charm packs I'm using are Potluck and School Days, both by American Jane Patterns for Moda.   
 
 
 
I have a plan... but I'm not at liberty to reveal it... yet.   
 
 
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + 
 
 
The annual fall retreat with my Threads group will be in October, a month later than in years past.  Instead of the 7+ hour drive to the northern woodlands of Minnesota, we opted for a 2 hour drive to the spacious Iowa lake home of one of our members.  In the next couple of weeks we will get together to plan our 5 day agenda... naturally it will be the usual sweat shop of sewing machine tables and a grid of extension cords and power strips criss-crossing the floor.  Meals will be planned, but the option of dining out will be ever present.  (Especially on the night Carole and I are in charge!)  We'll venture out at least one day to visit quilt shops in scenic northwestern Iowa, most likely visiting a few antiques shops as well.  Did I tell you I can hardly wait???   




19 comments:

  1. I think opting for a shorter drive to your retreat sounds like more sewing time. Plus a lake house in the fall sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new header. : )
    What a cute mini block--I'm sure you will do something delightful with all of the ones you are making. Can't wait to see! I had to pin this pattern--I can see it in my future!
    Oh, your retreat sounds like so much fun--I'd opt for the shorter drive, too. More time to sew and visit and laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the eye candy you have posted recently! Wonderful! I bet your home is so lovely with all these little gems sitting around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for including the link to the mini block. I, too, missed out on the GGS because I have too many projects in the works. This size is do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your GGS blocks. You accomplished a lot in your sewing time after work. How nice to be able to retreat at a friend's home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How refreshing the American Jane fabrics look in your mini GS! I would be excited about the retreat too...lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made some mini Granny Squares from a Cheri Payne pattern. I have wanted to repeat it as I liked it so well and gave the one I made as a gift. You have gone to town making yours once you got going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that mini block ... I'm looking forward to seeing the reveal.

    And how blessed you are to be a part of a group that gets together to sew and have fun. The closer location sounds fabulous to me ... the sooner you get there, the sooner the fun starts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blocks are so fresh looking and the retreat sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. preciosos bloque!!!
    y el encuentro con amigas suena pero que muy bien
    saludos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking through your posts at your amazing quilts just puts a big smile on my face. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well welcome back !!!!!

    What a fun quilt you are making !!

    Looking forward to seeing it when you are done :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such a fun quilt to look at! A really nice mix of fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your Granny Square quilt blocks! You are using such wonderful fabrics! Your retreat sound like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I envy your quilt retreat - it's been years since I did anything like that and they're SO fun! Great little GGS blocks - I made several myself and enjoyed them....

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cheery and bright! The planning for the retreat must be almost as fun as the retreat itself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your quilt start! Your retreat will be a blast I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aren't retreats the best time! Your quilt will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Granny Squares are fabulous!!! It will make a wonderful quilt. And my oh my, your EPP projects are gorgeous! Not a skill that I have - maybe some day!

    Blessings and hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!