Bird on a Branch... design by Betsy Chutchian. From her marvelous book, Just Treats, No Tricks. A 2014 Threads retreat project.

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Patchwork of the Crosses blocks... s l o w progress...

On the first Saturday of each month, six of us get together to work on our Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses blocks, inspired by Linda Franz.

By far, Barbara is way ahead of the rest of us in the progress department.   And she reigns as the "fussy cutting" queen!   Her plan is to make a queen size quilt, and she's looking at a five year goal.  It won't surprise the rest of us if this over achiever reaches her goal much sooner!

Most of the girls are using 1" honeycombs, but I have a reputation of going against the flow... I'm using 3/4" honeycomb shapes.  My fabric color choices are red, brown, beige, and a bit of black.  Fussy cutting is a bit more of a challenge because of the size of the honeycomb template.  My tentative goal is 16 blocks for a table topper quilt.  With only two blocks done, I have lots of time to improve with the fussy cutting!


 
The block on the white background is the first block I made, and it's ready for me to stitch the honeycombs together.  (Something that I thought I had already done...).  The block on the right is the one I completed on Saturday.  The fabric it's laying on will be my "path," or background fabric.  As with most EPP projects I undertake, I'm lovin' this one, too!
 
***********************************************
 
Time management has been an issue for me lately.   I'm way behind on reading blogs... I did some catching up earlier this afternoon, enjoying every minute of looking and reading about what all of you have been cutting, piecing, and quilting!  I would love to leave comments on ALL of the blogs I view, but time just isn't on my side.   In return, I don't expect everyone who views my blog to leave a comment.   I'm very happy if you do, but I'm mainly happy for the opportunity to share my adventures in the world of quilting with all of you, and if you are inclined to leave a comment, I'm extremely grateful!  
 
Happy April, and SPRING, to all of you!
 
 

 

20 comments:

  1. Love, love your honeycombs. Glad your doing something fun especially with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks, and so much fun to be making it with friends. It's hard to find the time to comment on every blog, but I think we all have time constraints and just do what we can, it's one of the loveliest things about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE EPP so I'm sure that. POTC project is on my to do list at some point! ;-) And I will make a note of yours and your fabric choices as they're beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tus bloques son preciosos, y coser con amigas es muy divertido y creativo.
    El tiempo pasa volando !!!
    una amiga que falleció hace un año, decía, que nos engañan, que las horas son mucho mas cortas que 60'
    algunas veces creo que tenia razón, a mi me pasan los días muy deprisa
    buena semana, saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am falling in love with these blocks more and more, and I can see that one of these days I will be starting it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very pretty blocks and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest and to see it as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are wonderful - worth the time I imagine

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous, I love the background! What a great project and goal!

    Blessings,
    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your fussy cutting looks great! And I love your color selection!
    This is such an amazing pattern and I am loving what I see around blogland, but you won't rope me into this one. I am still cussing you under my breath (not really--I don't cuss) for tempting me beyond resistance with that other little hexie project. It will be my new travel project when my "building houses from scraps" houses are done. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful! I love these! How are they put together, what shape do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blocks are so beautiful. I love the background fabric. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful color combinations you are using in the honeycombs Kathy! Always fun to do a project with friends...Love your Spring header :)

    Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What! 3/4" honeycombs and you think that someone else is the overachiever!! :o)) Just kidding. Your blocks are gorgeous. The fabric combinations are really beautiful and your fussy cutting is just perfect. Have fun......

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fussy cuts and color/fabric combinations you've chosen for these gorgeous blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've ordered the book and I'm thinking about using the 3/4 honeycombs. Love your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blocks are looking so great! LOVE the colors you're using.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are gorgeous little blocks! Magnificent job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I understand what you mean about time management in the Spring! I've gotten that feel from other bloggers too. It is a busy time of year for many, including me.
    I've never see a "honeycomb" shape/pattern for EPP...what fun and I love yours. I love EPP but I haven't done too much of it, I actually have a small EPP WIP going on right now. I've never done any "fussy" cutting but I can see where it can really add to a project. I love the fabrics you chose and if I lived there I would join your group!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!