Friday, April 25, 2014

My kind of Friday night...

... aromatic cups of coffee, and the hum of my sewing machine!  


A few months ago while browsing in a local quilt shop (itching to spend my Christmas present gift card), I was smitten by the PB&J fabric by Basic Grey for Moda.  It is SO NOT what I'm usually interested in... I'm a civil war repro girl all the way.  But there was something about the bold mix of colors, geometric designs, and "happy" look of this fabric line that said, "take me home!"  I purchased a charm pack, and a few fat quarters.  That was in January.  I started toying with patterns and decided to adapt one that I've used several times before.  In late February I did this...


Pieces cut, additional yardage for borders, backing and binding ordered on line, and then nothing... until this past Wednesday night.

 
I'm making a simple table topper... big surprise, I know.  Large quilts will come when I retire in 3 years and 2 months.  (But who's counting?  Me, that's who!)   For now I'll stick to small projects that I can actually see progress on.  Tonight I sandwiched the top, batting, and backing, and did some simple machine quilting.  This little cutie is screaming for magic binding... that's the plan anyway.  



A good night of peaceful sleep and I'll be ready to work the magic with the binding tomorrow.  It'll be me, several cups of aromatic coffee, and my sewing machine a hummin'... my kind of Saturday!!!

11 comments:

  1. I like your machine quilting. This will be a bright, happy table runner! I was sorely tempted to buy some of that fabric line too but I couldn't get over the name - I am seriously allergic to peanuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are "happy" fabrics!! Love your table topper. Hope you have a very enjoyable day quilting tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics do look great...I can see why you were tempted. I really like the red used in the inner border.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They ARE happy fabrics ... they wouldn't be my usual choice, either, but I can certainly see why they appealed to you. I wish I had your wisdom when I was still working ... I just didn't have the time to quilt a bed-sized quilt (and was frustrated by my inability to see any progress when I did make a bed-sized quilt), so I put quilting on the back burner. I should have thought to make wall hangings or other smaller projects! Grrrr Oh well, now that I'm retired, I'm working fiendishly to make up for lost time! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have seen those fabrics. (I am trying to stay away from the stores as I have plenty to do right here), but they are adorable. Your table topper looks great! I am hoping to retire in 2 years and 10 months. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This quilt top really is Sweet and Cheerful!
    Magic binding will be the perfect finish for this terrific quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love P,B &J too but not in my comfort zone! Great little quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fabs. I too am more a civil war repro kinda girl. But every so often something new just grabs at me. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made a throw out of that line and sleep under it and wag it around with me... I named it the Hammock quilt but that weather hasn't been our way til this week! lol Yours is looking lovely! Thanks for sharing! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a adorable quilt ! Perfect way to spend a Friday night !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect day - I love morning - and morning coffee, so what's better than those 2 things and quilting! Hope you had a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!