A gifted-to-me dainty wool wreath, and the first flannel mini quilt I made... two of my favorite things this holiday season!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

It's been a while...

...since I've written.  Yes, to me, adding a post to my blog is like writing a letter.  And this one is overdue!

Spring Retreat came and went... three and a half days of blissful moments with my quilting friends!   Ten of us created our individual work spaces, sometimes spilling over one another, with scissors, needles, pieced blocks, and chocolate treats ending up in the wrong work space.  (Note to self... remember to discreetly hide the chocolate!)  I was a bad girl... I didn't take any pictures of the projects that were being worked on.  I forgot my camera... and even though I returned to my home in the evenings to sleep, I managed to forget the little bugger every morning when I headed back!   My trusty Canon Powershot is usually joined at my hip for these events, causing most of this group of quilters to hide behind a held up project, or run off to the ladies room when they see the lens pointed at them!  I'll blame my forgetfulness on a busier than normal month of March, and my aging memory.  But I can tell you that between a Christmas Pickle Dish flimsy, several Civil War mid size quilts, a couple of BOM projects, two casserole dish carriers, Lucy blocks, a knitted prayer shawl, embroidered tea towels, and a the beginnings of a new quilt for a grandchild, the days spoke RETREAT, loud and clear!

This was the first retreat I've ever attended without my sewing machine.  After many talks with myself in the weeks leading up to the first day, I decided to take just handwork... primarily my 3/8 inch hexie project, Stars in the Garden.  I finished piecing together the 8 half flowers and the 4 diamond shapes.  I chose my "path" fabric, and am now in the process of making the 240 hexies necessary to complete the garden. 




I am still very much enjoying this project... I have a long way to go until the completion, but it's been a fun ride so far!   The layout will probably change a time or two before I decide on the final "look."  I'm notorious for changing my mind...


Here's just a small heap of the "path" hexies.  I decided on the lighter of the two fabric choices I was struggling with.   By going with the lighter of the two, the stars and flowers will show themselves with a bit more pop! 

*********************************

My mojo has slipped a bit since the end of retreat.  March has been a busy month and April will be the same, presenting challenges of balancing work, family, and me time.  So, it will be one day at a time... and what's important is that each day be enjoyable, be it at work, with family, or a little me time! 

I'm off to read blogs... or should I say the letters of many other quilters at heart!

22 comments:

  1. I'm doing half inch hexies. Just have 6 done. But I'm doing them in different sizes. .5, .75, and 1 inch. I thought I would place them on a whole cloth and have it look like an English Flower Garden. Yours look lovely. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too much temptation!! I dropped my BOM project for the year already. I do not need another project, but I have the right size hexies, I have the pattern--and of course I have the fabric. What is stopping me? TIME!!
    But I do love this. Oh, Kathy, you are a temptress! I'd better go dig out the magazine! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt is going to be AMAZING ! It is a busy time of year for me too . It is sometimes hard just to post once a week.

    Glad to here you had so much fun at the retreat :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love the hexie project. It is going to be so amazing! It's good to see you back again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you made the right decision to make hexies during the retreat. It is such a glorious work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking beautiful, great choice for the pathway. It's nice to have photos, but sometimes it's even more of a retreat without the camera....lets you focus on the sewing, the girls and the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so love this quilt project! Great colors, timeless design--it's just wonderful.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Hexies are lovely and I'm very tempted to start a Hexie project as I love hand stitching so I need to do some searching for supplies & ideas.. My first quilt which I started as a child was a Hexie, I don't know what happened to it, it was the only patchwork I was aware existed in England. I don't think I was much older than 8 at the time. Happy stitching, I look forward to seeing how you finish the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Hexies are lovely and I'm very tempted to start a Hexie project as I love hand stitching so I need to do some searching for supplies & ideas.. My first quilt which I started as a child was a Hexie, I don't know what happened to it, it was the only patchwork I was aware existed in England. I don't think I was much older than 8 at the time. Happy stitching, I look forward to seeing how you finish the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember stitching Hexies as a child, I can't have been more than 8, it was the only patchwork I was aware of, don't know what happened to my project but you've inspired me to start another hexie project. Happy stitching and thanks for a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never take the time to get going on a hexie project. I so admire those that do as I would love to have a quilt like yours. I like the colors you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what I wouldn't give to have some quilty real life friends. ;-) As a hexie lover, I'm really enjoying your work on your Stars in the Garden ... love the fabrics and all those hexies! While we all would have loved seeing pics from your retreat, I agree with Susan ... not having your camera let you focus on your sewing, friends and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your hexie project - really wonderful! During very busy or stressful times working on a hand project can be just the ticket. Very small amounts of time hand stitching does add up and gets us to the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!! Stars in the Garden is outstanding!! I just love every single thing about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh those hexies.... I am so tempted to start a new project with some sweet little hexies. (notice I said "start" lol!) Yours are beautiful.

    Glad you reminded me .. must bring chocolate to quilt retreat this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Retreats are so much fun! I'm loving your hexagon layout!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your hexies are totally awesome especially adding in the factor that they are SO SMALL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you had a good retreat. Mine has come and gone as well. I really enjoy this time away without having to cook or clean. Your hexies are fantastic. They are on my someday list.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your hexies are so wonderful.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've made amazing progress on this quilt!
    I LOVE it - can't stop visually drooling over it..... (grin)
    This is going to be so very Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your hexies, I've been trying to find the magazine.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!