Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Beginning Boston Blocks...

It must be the year for EEP (English Paper Piecing) in my house, and the homes of some dear quilting friends.  Ongoing projects involve 3/8 inch hexies, (3 of us caught up in the madness), 1 inch diamond paper pieces, (combined with applique, 2 of us are venturing into this project), to 1 inch, 3/4 inch, and 1/2 inch honeycombs!  (8 first timers to the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses).  Only a few of us were able to meet this past Saturday for the sole purpose of stitching a few of the Lucy beauties, and we made the best of our time!  

The Lucy blocks require fussy cutting your fabric for some of the honeycomb shapes, to be combined with prints, stripes, and solids.  24 honeycombs make up one block... actually that's the variation we  chose.  Linda Franz's book, Patchwork of the Crosses, gives you variations from 4 honeycombs to 48 honeycombs per block! 

I want to show you an example of three different fussy cuts from the same fat quarter of a large scale fabric, used at the center of the block, or the cross.

 



It's amazing how different each cross of these three blocks will look when they are completed!  These are Barbara's... it just goes to show you what a little (or a lot!) of creativity can be achieved from the same piece of fabric!  Are they not gorgeous?  Barbara is using 1 inch honeycomb pieces.

**************************

Carole is using 1/2 inch honeycombs, as shown in the picture below.


Her center cross has nice movement to it with the floral design!  She is getting ready for a road trip to the Southern states, and has a good supply of fabric covered honeycombs to take along.  We are expecting her to return with many completed blocks!   (Note to Carole... try to resist sipping on a Pina Colada if you have a threaded needle in your hand...)

*************************** 

I decided to use 3/4 inch honeycombs for my Lucy blocks.  These are a bit more time consuming than those little 3/8 inch hexies I'm addicted to!  I managed to cover 24 honeycombs, played with the layout, and decided on the one pictured below.  Connecting the pieces together will take place during a future evening in front of the TV.


I have some practicing to do with my fussy cutting regarding accuracy... and I'll get it with future blocks!  I did discover that by using the smaller honeycombs, it's a bit trickier to fussy cut fabrics with "movement" onto the honeycombs, without losing the effect.  Oh, but I love a challenge!  

I'm copying both Barbara's and Carole's idea...


I'm building a nice supply of fabric covered honeycombs so I can "play" with the layout of future Lucy blocks.  When I was going though my stash of red, brown, beige, and black fabrics I was surprised at how many fat quarters and scraps I had that would work well together.  I'll keep adding to the ones pictured above, and be ready to play with various layouts of Lucy blocks in no time! 

I'm behind in blog reading... again!  What I wouldn't give for a few uninterrupted hours to devote to that feat!   Any suggestions???

28 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE EVERYONE'S fabric covered honeycombs!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some gorgeous blocks here! Love the fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply stunning! Now I wanna do this...

    Jodi Connors
    mtngurlquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! There's never enough time to do that! Besides, your EPP is more important I think--totally gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with EPP and fussy cutting too. Gorgeous fabrics and fussy cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh WOW all the fuzzy cut blocks look amazing! I also love the challenge of working with tiny hexagons.. this is my kinda project. I agree, there's never enough uninterrupted hours in the day :)) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the blocks are wonderful.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely fabrics!! What fabulous fussy cutting! So far, I'm resisting the POTC. In part because I'm already in the midst of 2 EPP projects as well as hand quilting my Storm at Sea ... and I have a quilt to make for my DD as soon as she chooses the colors she wants. But a POTC is definitely on my list. So do you have any tips on fussy cutting? And how you get all 4 blocks cut exactly the same?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree...they are gorgeous and it is so surprising how many variations can be made from the same fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such gorgeous blocks here! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great blocks and cute header!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! I absolutely love all of this fussy cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing blocks and once again a beautiful header.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look like fun! I think you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your POTC block is gorgeous. Good idea to have a bunch covered to play with. I am doing the 1" honeycomb version. I so enjoy picking out the fabrics for a new one. Playing with all the possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely GORGEOUS blocks ! You have alot more patience then i do ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What is it about EPP? Once we get going just can't seem to stop!! Your blocks are wonderful and love that growing stack of honeycombs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful blocks. The designs you're creating by fussy cutting is amazing. Love your plan of stock piling honeycombs and then playing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your Lucy Boston blocks. They are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you're going to have fun with your new project! Lovely fabrics! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful blocks! As always I really love YOUR fabric choices.
    I too enjoy EPP. So nice to have a local group to keep each other company, inspired and motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are beautiful! Your fabrics are my favourites, and I'm so inspired. I have the papers, I have the fabric, now all I need is a few more hours!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic! Each block takes on it's on character!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh NO!!!!! I just LOVE these……and I do NOT need to start something else. Ha! What fantastic fabrics you are using. Bravo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful blocks...and woderful fabriks.

    Greetings from Germany (my english is not so good;-))

    Klaudia

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!