Bird on a Branch... design by Betsy Chutchian. From her marvelous book, Just Treats, No Tricks. A 2014 Threads retreat project.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Snowy Finish... Midwinter Blues



A week ago I posted a picture of my Midwinter Blues flimsy... it was a sunny day, and after a gentle overnight snowfall, it was appropriate that the flimsy was photograph with snow as the back drop.  I finished sewing the binding on last night.  How appropriate that when I took it outside this morning for its photo shoot, it was snowing!


 
 
Lori at Humble Quilts has hosted numerous quilt-a-longs, and Midwinter Blues is one of my favorites!   I opted for a narrow border, using the same fabric as the sashing.  The binding is also the same fabric.  I  quilted it differently from Lori's, and now wish I would have cross hatched it like hers... live and learn!   Love the soft, crinkly look of it after a quick machine wash and dry!   Thank you Lori... this was a fun quilt-a-long!  Visit Lori's wonderful blog, here.
 
 

22 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a lovely version of Lori's quilt. Kudos to you for finishing already. I've completed my top, but still have a ways to go before binding it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty finish, Kathy!! I like your brown sashing and narrower border!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful! Love the picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a lovely little quilt, looks perfectly at home in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I LOVE, LOVE the brown sashing and border!! Awesome look!! I agree, this was one of my favorite of Lori's SALs!! I'm looking forward to the linky party, so I can see every one else's!!
    Hope the snow was all enjoyable with no mishaps!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brrr! Looks oh so cold where you are at.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it and your sashing and border fab is one of my favorites! I love seeing it in the snow too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finish, Kathy. Looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. This was so much fun and I love seeing all the versions of the quilt. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great quilt, and I love your photo in the snow. I am still in love with those hexagon stars!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a gorgeous finish. I enjoy seeing variations of Lori's instructions, and your flip-flop of darks and lights in the center block is one I wish I'd thought to use. Well done!
    (Boo, hiss re: all our snow and the bitter cold. Enough already.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. your QAL turned out great and hooray that you're finished. I like the narrow border -

    ReplyDelete
  13. great for chasing winter blues....nice photo.....have no idea what long winters would be like without quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your quilt. Your blues and tans are wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, your quilt is beautiful and i love the narrow brown border (I'm still mulling over mine).... the muted blues & greys give it that lovely warm vintage appeal that I love. Looks lovely in the snow :)) cheers... Marian

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!