Monday, March 25, 2013

Where is it???

I'm referring to Spring!   Central Iowa still has a little snow on the ground in my neck of the woods.  Predictions of temps in the 50's - 60's for the weekend are highly anticipated.  No one wants to see kids wear winter boots for an Easter egg hunt!   Fingers crossed!!!

I did a little decorating to celebrate the arrival of the Easter holiday.   I'm keeping it simple... again.

It was a bit difficult to get a good picture
of the Easter tree... 



Paper mache bunnies that have been in my Easter
decorating collection for many years,
ground the tree in it's place.
 

I cross stitched the Easter eggs 12
years ago... I love the pastel
colors!


I adapted the EASTER stitchery to my own liking...
it's an old Buttermilk Basin design.

 
 I wasn't very busy in the sewing room this past last week... there's just a lot going on that doesn't allow much time to play with fabric!   I did manage to applique the clothes poles on the pattern below.  I started this project while at retreat... the plan was to have it finished before the end of March for my CTTY project.   I don't think I'm going to make the deadline... but I can live with that!
 
Clothesline by Renee Plains -
A pieced and appliqued wall quilt.
A WIP!

 
I'm doing the applique using the needle turn method.  I usually machine applique, and I have to admit, I'm enjoying this hand work!  It's a great way to relax after a long day at work.  What is your favorite method of applique???

 

13 comments:

  1. Darling Easter decorations. I think I like to Big Stitch my little quilts best, although I do find knitting more relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sweet decorations for Easter.

    Love the appliqué of the Clothesline.

    I enjoy any kind of appliqué, except machine! I find that it's just as quick for me to stitch my applique by hand than machine. I enjoy needleturn as well as the starch method. Depends on the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Easter tree and the decorations and lights! What a great idea! I also love your little clothes line applique. That is so cute! I'd like to make something like that for my laundry room to hang on the wall. I love handwork but I do more wool applique with blanket stitch. I'm afraid of needle turning as I've heard it's difficult so I steer clear! Maybe someday but I prefer the look of it as compared to machine so I'll probably force myself to learn it for that reason.
    I don't know if I told you but I used to live in Swisher, Iowa and worked in Iowa City. My family is still up in Cedar Rapids so it's like old home week when I visit your blog! LOL! I really didn't start quilting until I came down here and retired. But it's hard to find old wool clothing down here for my applique. It's cold here right now and very unseasonable usually 60's & 70's by now but it's in the 30's! Take care and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What sweet Easter decor.
    I like to hand applique in the evenings but I like the speed with which I can machine applique. Love your little block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty little Easter display.
    "Favorite" and "applique" don't go in the same sentence for me. : ) But I admit, I am enjoying the wool applique I have been doing lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are totally ready for Easter! Great decorations.:) I love to do needleturn applique except when I have something really complicated to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice Easter scene you made, so cosy. Also here in the Netherlands, spring is far away. it's almost as cold as at Christmas.
    Greetings, Joke

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are supposed to have record cold temperatures here in Florida tonight!
    I like what you have going with the Renee Plains piece. I like her designs. Very prim style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Easter Tree ensemble is so beautiful!
    I love your precious Easter stitchery and darling cross stitched eggs.
    Your wash-day (clothesline) project is looking wonderful!

    I love various methods of hand applique' but my favorite of all is Reverse needle turn applique'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your decor is very sweet, Kathy. Love your work in progress. Very, very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful Easter Tree you have put together.
    You'll have the project done for next CTTY.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Easter decorations. I too sew enjoy hand work. I always have a hand quilting or applique project ready to go. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post reminds me that I forgot to get my Easter decorations out. Yours are fun and colorful. I love hand appliqué. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!