Saturday, February 23, 2013

Friday Night Sew In Meets Christmas Through the Year...

Ahhhh yes!  Nothing like checking off two February sewing events with one project! 

With a major snowstorm heading for central Iowa this past Thursday afternoon, my employer decided to send everyone home early.  How nice!  I was home and in my sewing room by 3:00pm... the snow began falling around 3:30pm... and fizzled out by 8:00pm.  The six inches that fell by morning was light, fluffy, picturesque, but certainly not "major."  Duped again by Mother Nature!   I won't complain... I was able to get an early start on prepping for Friday Night Sew In, and Christmas Through the Year!  

 I had three fat quarters, purchased while on retreat in Minnesota last fall, and a pattern, purchased last May in Wisconsin. 
 

Circa 1934 by Cosmo Cricket for Moda

The Centerpiece Tablemat -
A Tiny Treasures Pattern
from Sweet Treasures
www.SweetTreasuresQuiltPatterns.com

Finished size - 21" Octagon

By piecing the backing with scraps from the 3 fat
quarters, I used just about all of the fabric!  I even
included a strip of the selvage... a no waste
of fabric project!


There was something about the fabric line that spoke to me... it's a little out of my usual taste, but I just kept carrying those 3 fat quarters around the shop with me.  It's difficult to see, but there are images of an old 1950's typewriter on one of the outer strips, and another strip looks like the keys of the typewriter.  My Dad had a typewriter like this...  I remember playing endlessly with it... inserting a clean sheet of paper in the manual rollers, banging away on the keys, listening to the ping of the letter molds slapping against the crisp paper... and when my written masterpiece was completed, I'd snatch the paper quickly out of the rollers, and let it sail to the floor... just like in the movies!   The typewriter still resides in my Mom's home.  My younger brother has dibs on it... maybe I could borrow it long enough for a picture of the typewriter on the octagon mat, and then the mat can live its life in Wisconsin, with my brother, and my Dad's old typewriter. 

I finished sewing the binding on Friday evening.  And now the pattern has inspired me to make smaller octagon tablemats, using civil war fabrics.   Hmmm...  more Christmas Through the Year projects, perhaps on future Friday nights!

20 comments:

  1. You made good use of those fat quarters. Even the backing! I learned to type on one of those old manual typewriters. I would not want to go back to using one again but I can understand your fascination with your Dad's typewriter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice that you had a little extra time in your sewing room Thursday! And I'm not at all surprised that you whipped up a new project! Love it and I look forward to seeing table mats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric is out of my comfort zone as wel, Kathy but I'm sure that if I saw it in a quilt shop I would buy it as well. A mat like yours would be perfect sitting under my Mom's featherweight in my sewing room.

    Okay...confession time...now I'm jealous! *wink*

    Great job and I L-O-V-E it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done finishing your mat and using up all the fabric. I love the prints on these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some nice fabrics. I thought that fabric line was quite neat, though I didn't buy any. Love your table mat. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to the other comments! I had a manual typewriter. I saved and saved and bought it when I was 12. If we'd only had digital backspace and insert, it would have saved me hours on school reports!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful way to use your fatquarters. This way you'll get to really enjoy them properly.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned to type on one of those old things that belonged to my Dad, as well.
    It is interesting how sometimes a certain fabric just insists on coming home with us, even though it isn't our usual style. You put those FQs to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of those 3 fat quarters. It's wonderful when projects like these stir found memories! Looks like you are going to have a lot of fabulous Christmas thru the Year projects finished by December! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that fabric and you did such a nice job on the mat! I have an old typewriter like that....now I need to make a mat like yours to set it on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely tabletopper and such creative use of fabrics. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! Fabric well spent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job-- Hoping to get some stitching time into this afternoon....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your topper! I have a fat quarter bundle of that fabric and have yet to figure out what to make with it. There's something about it but I'm not sure what it is. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. that turned out so fabulously! the fabric is great in those designs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the fabrics. We had one of those old typewriters, too. I loved hearing the bell ring at the end of the line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great pattern and I too like that fabric collection. I especially love your story behind it. I love that you used up all of your scraps, but I think you need to seek out more and make something for yourself with it to remind you of that story. I have fond memories of my Dad and his typewriter too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cosmo cricket fabrics are gorgeous! What a beautiful table topper. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your table mat. Nothing like using up fabrics. You did really good using all of it up. I love Cosmo Cricket fabrics. There's just something about their designs and colors that I absolutely love. Thanks for linking up with CTTY. Hope to see you next month.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!