Monday, January 14, 2013

Just trying to catch up...

One of my most favorite Christmas presents is Simply Charming, Small Scrap Quilts of Yesteryear by Tara Lynn Darr.  The books has 20 classic patterns ranging in size from 15 x 18 to 23 x 26, and one is better than the next!  You can use a 5" charm squares or smaller for every pattern, but will need additional fabric for the borders, backing, and binding.  It wasn't an easy decision, but I decided on Tabitha's Trinkets for my first project from the book.  The pattern calls for a total of 80 assorted 2 3/8  x  2 3/8 inch squares, 40 in assorted dark prints, and 40 in assorted light prints.  I had a mini charm pack (2.5 inch squares), of Metropolitan Fair, by Barbara Brackman for Moda.  I used 40 2.5 inch squares from the pack, but did not trim the squares, and cut 40, 2.5 inch squares from my stash of shirting fabrics. 


Simply Charming is published by Kansas City Star Books.
It is available from Amazon.com.  Tara's website
is www.sewuniquecreations.com.
I omitted the two borders called for in the original design, and opted to back and bind it as shown below.  My finished size is 13 x 15.  With the borders, the original pattern would finish to 18 x 21.  I love mini's and I'm very happy with the results!

Tabitha's Trinkets using Metropolitan Fair
mini charm squares.

Once again I left the machine quilting to simple cross hatches.  I love every single pattern in this book, so it's going to be hard to decide which one to do next!


Backing up to before the end of 2012, I want to share a picture of a mini Christmas tree skirt my sister made for me. 

A treasure from my sister!

The fabrics are from Sentiments by 3 Sisters for Moda.  She told me she found the pattern in a stash of "oldies" that she has kept for many, many years.  I love the scalloped edges, and the simple quilting that accentuates it.  I purchased a few fats of this fabric line last fall, and now with this darling tree skirt, I will be inspired to make something fantastic to compliment it!   I joined "Christmas Throughout the Year" for 2013... (see www.lilypatchquilts.com, post dated January 1, 2013, for details).  So I already have a future Christmas 2013 project waiting for me! 

Happy sewing days!  Keep those sewing machines humming!



 

18 comments:

  1. Your little quilt is adorable! I have that book and love every little quilt in it!
    The tree skirt is fabulous! The fabric is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love your quilt! I also have Tara's book and love each and every quilt in it.

    Your tree skirt us stellar! What a beauty!!

    Happy stitching. Yes, I'm doing the same:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely little quilt and like the no borders look. Must get that book, sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking the same thing Betty Lou is ... want that book! I like it with no borders too and LOVE the fabric line. Thanks also for showing the mini-tree skirt. I actually forgot to take a picture of it. Great to see you're up and running again, isn't it amazing how much we can get done without our computers ... but sharing your work on-line with others is also fun too! SO many projects get to be shared and admired. Back to sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I thought I had seen every mini quilt book there is. Another one to add to the list. Thanks--I think. : )
    Your little quilt is so cute. Love it!
    That tree skirt is adorable. That is a treasure for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your little HST quilt - isn't it amazing how many things you can do with that simple block? YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little quilt! I like to cut pieces for HST's a bit larger and trim afterwards so your square size would be perfect for me. I can't wait to see what you make from it next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your Tabithas Trinkets quilt ! AND your Tree skirt is SO adorable ! Can't wait to see what you make next :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great little quilt and so easy with the mini charms!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tabitha's Trinkets is just wonderful!! I love it!! This is a book on my want list!! Now I'm "wanting" it even more!!

    The mini Christmas tree skirt is adorable!! Can't wait to see your complimentary project!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Trinkets is gorgeous...I may have to order that book now...you are tempting me with your gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a great book, I'll have to look for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your mini quilt - it's adorable. I, too, own that book and love every project. You need to make every quilt in the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering what the scrap quilt book is like. And I love, love the quilt in your header.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Think I need to get that book.....love your quilt. And that sweet tree skirt is adorable...love the scalloped edge too!! I have my Christmas project ready for CTTY, now to get it made :-)!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just darling!!! Again, I love it!!!! I really like the shirting fabrics mixed with the group. It makes those reproductions just shine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the book referral. I would like to find it.
    The mini tree skirt from your sister is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just ordered the book! I want to give a quilt gift once a month... What a great opportunity.....No pressure with small items.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!