Saturday, November 24, 2012

Shakin' it up for a Christmas Gift Exchange...

Every Christmas for the past eight years, one of the two quilt groups I belong to (we call ourselves Threads), has the customary gift exchange.  In years past we have numbered the gifts as they arrive at our Christmas get together, and then each of us draw a number.  Most of the time we draw names in September at our Northwoods retreat.  But it seems that by the time December rolls around some of the members forget the name they drew, and someone has two gifts under the tree because of this.  Everything works out before the evening is over... no one goes home empty handed, but there's a lot of, "I thought I had so and so... or was that last year?"  and, "I could have sworn I had so and so!"  To avoid confusion this year (goodness... there's only eleven of us!), we changed things up.

We still drew names... BUT WE ALL KNOW WHO HAS WHO... we WROTE THEM DOWN... and we all RECEIVED A REMINDER of who we have at our November meeting!!! 

AND we changed up the gift idea itself...
 
 
Everyone purchased the same charm pack... after auditioning several candidates on the Internet while at retreat in September, we decided together on Blitzen by Basicgrey for Moda.  We set rules to follow... and they are:
 
You can ONLY use the fabric in the charm pack...
 
You may use all of the charms or just some of the charms...
 
If needed, you may purchased additional fabric to use for backing and binding ONLY...
 
You can make whatever you like for your gift, as long as you follow the above rules.
 
I have my project completed.  The recipient reads this blog so I can only show a little of it...
 

A special thank you to Creekside Quilting in Clive, IA, for allowing one of our members to purchase 11 charm packs this past September to distribute to the Thread gals... we may have cleaned them out!  (Thank you Barb!!!)

Our Christmas get together is Monday, December 10th.  I'm excited to see what everyone made using a Blitzen charm pack and I'll share pictures on a future post. 

Let's hear from you... how do you do your Holiday gift exchange?

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea, can't wait to see what everyone has made! Myself and three friends that always used to wonder what to get each other decided to give just 4 - 1/4 yard cuts of fabric this year. We know each other's preferences quite well but I can't wait to see what we all receive! It was fun picking fabrics for each girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a very fun line of fabric and I like the way you set the guidelines for this year. Should be interesting to see everyone's creations.
    I don't belong to any "group" so I don't do any sort of quilty gift exchange. : (

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a terrific idea. I don't belong to a group of quilters locally but when I did we drew names. One year we did the number thing - everyone has a number and you steal from each other, etc. That gets rowdy and fun. LOL

    Your idea would be fun with a group of bloggers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a great idea, what a fun challenge!
    can't wait to see all the gifts made with the charm packs, I hope you will share them all with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that idea of picking a theme fabric!! Can't wait to see the porjects. I agree with Darlene....fun to do with bloggy friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun!! Looking forward to seeing the finished projects!!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea. Please take lots of photos so we can see what everyone made. Love the Blitzen fabric...too cute.

    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see the finished project.. --- sounds fun.... One of these days I'll belong to a group...one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your idea! And I am very curious to see your project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have a hard time just using the fabric in a charm pack. I would probably want some additional yardage of something from the charm pack to use within the quilt. But your rules does make one stretch their imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a brilliant idea and what a fab charm pack to work with. There are lots of things you can do with a charm pack and a little extra for finishing. Can't wait to see what you all come up with. Have a lovely Christmas get together....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like such a fun exchange and with darling fabric! What a fun idea to all use the same charm pack!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!