Sunday, November 11, 2012

It's Veterans Day

On Sunday, November 4th, I was lucky enough to be sitting inside Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI with 70,000 other Packer fans.  Because the Packers have a bye this week, the Community owned Green Bay Packer Organization scheduled their Celebration of Veterans Day on the 4th.  

 


A large, rectangular red, white, or blue card was taped to each bleacher seat before the game.  (Volunteers did the taping).  During the playing of the National Anthem 70,000 people held up their cards to display the message "THANK YOU MILITARY."  There are slots in the cards at eye level so you could witness this grand site.  I fumbled with my camera hoping I would be  able to capture what I was seeing from behind my little eye slot.  And there's nothing like a flyover at the end of the singing of our national anthem!



During the halftime activities the crowd's attention was directed to the large screens on each end of the stadium, and we were introduced via Skype to a large group of soldiers in Afghanistan, standing at attention.  We were instructed to stand, put our right hands in salute formation,  and on the announcer's cue, we saluted the soldiers.  In return, the soldiers saluted us.  The roar and cheers from the crowd was deafening!  It was a special moment!
Our mass group salute to them was a small, endearing, and heartfelt gesture...  and I was happy to be part of it!

Remember to keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers, not just today, but everyday.   

5 comments:

  1. Just reading this and seeing these pictures gave me goosebumps. For real. I'm glad you were a part of this! -Kev

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kev! Glad you got to witness this and salute the soldiers, I'm sure that they appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether is the National Anthem being sung, all the Flags flying, a Salute to our Military, the Fly-Over ... experiencing all that at Lambeau Field is always a moving experience. There has never been a game I've been to where any or all of that brings a tear to my eyes. We are so fortunate as AMERICANS to have our FREEDOM! :) So glad you got to be a part of that ... moments you'll never forget. Great Pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting day for you! The photos are awesome but I'm sure being there to witness the patriotism was so much better. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This red, white and blue display must have been spectacular in person. It looks like you had beautiful weather that day.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!