Bird on a Branch... design by Betsy Chutchian. From her marvelous book, Just Treats, No Tricks. A 2014 Threads retreat project.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Come November...

Come November and be my guest! 

I don't think November is a very popular month with most people.  In the Midwest it means colder temps, the end of daylight savings, the possibility of significant snow falling, the more-dreaded-than-snow ice storm, and discovering that the most popular toys for the holiday season are already sold out at every store in the city. 

But it also means that the best family day of the year is just around the corner.  It means the sweet aroma of burning fireplaces will fill the crisp, neighborhood air.  It means joining your kids or grand kids at the elementary school for cafeteria cooked turkey and stuffing on a designated day.  It means putting the lightweight jackets in the spare closet, and dusting off the shoulders of winter coats that have been stationary in the same closet since February.  It means making sure you still have mittens and gloves that are a match.  It means mulling over favorite and traditional recipes for the big day.  For me and my family, it is about family... being grateful for each other, and for our good fortune.  It's about being together.   Perhaps this year, our time together will be more cherished, as we pray for the hundreds of families who have endured Sandy, and lost so much.  It's unimaginable that they are dealing with what the rest of us take for granted... shelter, warm meals, electricity, and so much more.  God Bless them all.

I've reflected enough.  This is, after all, a blog about quilting!  

My pumpkins and Halloween specific decorations will find themselves packed away for another year beginning today.  Taking their place will be flannel table runners, acorns, pine cones, and fabrics that reflect the colors of November. 

 
I took this flannel table runner outside for a picture, to capture the true colors of the blocks.  This is a Country Threads pattern... for the life of me I can't find it to give you the name... it's somewhere in my sewing room!  Edit 11/9/2012 - Finally found the pattern for the table runner! Square Within a Square #616  www.countrythreads.com.
 
 
Every year at our Northwoods September retreat we make a turkey as one of our group projects.  This little wool turkey was fun to make with scraps of wool and embroidery floss.  We made him a few years ago... I don't have the pattern any longer... sorry!
 
 

 

This Turkey applique quilt is one of the first quilts I made.  If I had to do it over, I would change a few things.  I did the big (too big... I cringed when I look at it!) blanket stitching, and other embroidery.  The stippling was done by a very talented friend!  I believe I found the pattern in a magazine.



 

This acorn is one of my favorite wool projects of all time!  I like the woven wool strips that form the cap.  This is a Wooden Spool Designs pattern, Autumn Harvest - #155.
 

 
The shades of brown stripe mini quilt was a-quilt-as-you-go "how to" at retreat a few years ago.  Each quarter square was made separately and then joined to make a larger square mini.  Quick and easy!


Okay... your turn!  Let's see your November projects and decorating goods!  And while you're at it, let's hear about what November means to you!
 
 


14 comments:

  1. I am SHOCKED that you didn't call me for my wool turkey from last years retreat to add to your display! Warm regards..your roomie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SHOCKED that you kept that masterpiece!!!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, I love it all, Kathy! Actually, November is one of my favorite months. I have always loved Thanksgiving, and it is about family and blessings. I love the crispness of the days, the golden light, the crunch of leaves underfoot, and baking all things pumpkin! My birthday is also in November, so I make sure I include something I enjoy doing sometime in the near vicinity of my big day (which often falls near Thanksgiving, which is why I don't always celebrate my birthday on THE day--it is often a cooking-for-the-holiday day or a recuperating-from-the-holiday day).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh your quilts look great. And I love the header picture. Being in Canada, we've already celebrated Thanksgiving earlier in October. But I still love November. I love the cooler temps and the lead up to the Christmas season. Our family takes a day in November every year to spend the day at a beautiful park about an hour away, we hike, make a campfire, enjoy the sites and sounds of nature. It was always one of my Dad's favourite days and now that he's no longer with us, the day is a special day of memories for me. Enjoy your November! I'll be looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it wonderful that we take the time to reflect on other things aside from quilting.

    Your quilted items that you are putting out for the month are lovely. That bottom one really spoke to me as I just love all of those colors! Nice!

    I remember when I started blogging, that when it came time for November, each day was a blog about something I was thankful for. Maybe I'll start that again today....seeing as how it's been nearly a month since I've blogged! But I do think Thanksgiving is a time for family and of course for thanksgiving. We have still so much to be thankful for in this country, don't we? I can't help but be thankful for the men and women who fight and those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to keep us free....and not only us, but those in other countries.

    I Enjoyed your post today:) Have a wonderful month of thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about your post in wonderful!! Beautiful fall decor! You start decorating for winter starting today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your autumn decorations are just lovely. And so are your reflections about November!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was admiring the stitiching on the applique quilt, and thinking I would like to make something like that. No need to cringe when you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. If I could do it again I would make smaller blanket stitches and use a lighter colored thread. Still not bad for one of my very first attempts at machine applique!

      Delete
  8. Love your flanned table runner! I was just going through the back issues of Primitive Quilts and Projects magazine last night and remember seeing something very similar with this one. 9The center squares of that one were dark red.) Warm texture of flanned looks so inviting... Thanks for beautiful inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful post---love the words AND the quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ALL of your Autumn quilts and projects!
    Such beautiful work and lovely sentiments!
    Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, your reminiscing of November makes me appreciate it even more and I love all your November projects. I have a very similar, large quilt made out of homespuns like your table runner and it is one of my favorite quilts. Warm and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Count me among those who LOVE the month of November. I look forward to it 11 months out of the year, and then it passes by in the blink of an eye (and a few gulps of turkey). -Kev

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!