Saturday, November 17, 2012

BELIEVE in Friday Night Sew-In...

I'm making progress on another planned Christmas project...



At the October AQS show in Des Moines a couple of my quilting friends and I purchased this BELIEVE kit from the Yellow Creek Quilt Designs booth.  The pattern is from the book entitled Christmas Favorites by Art to Heart.  About a week ago we got together to trace the letters and cut the fabric blocks, giving each of us a jump start at completing it on our own.  Friday night arrived and my goal was to make this my FNSI project.  So there I am in my sewing room.  I spread out the  blocks and letters on my cutting table, stepped back for a look, and did what I have done so many times in the past with kits that I have purchased.  I decided to make some changes to the fabrics laying in front of me.  (Why do I do this!?!  It was a KIT!!!)   I pulled my fabric bins from the closet shelf, looking for a little brighter gold, a deeper red, and and a black print that didn't have holly leaves, because several of the green fabrics in the kit had holly leaves.  (How ridiculous is it, that I didn't want a black print with holly leaves!  Really?)  After auditioning several brighter golds, deeper reds, and black prints without holly leaves, this is what I came up with... and I love it!




I machine appliqued the letters to their blocks using a blanket stitch. The black fabric with cream colored dots, the top border, came with the kit, and it was a large piece that was supposed to be used as the backing fabric.  I thought it was too cute for the back.  The green fabric bottom border (if you look closely it has holly leaves!), is also from the kit, and I put it where it is supposed to be.  (See, I can follow some directions!)  The pattern doesn't call for side borders, but I wanted mine to have them.  The top border in the pattern is not as wide as the bottom border, and I like that idea, so I will be trimming the black with cream dots just a bit before finishing.  I'm searching for a gold ceramic star button for the tree top.  For the backing, my plan is to use flannel... just need to pull that bin out from under the bed in the sewing room, and find the perfect, soft print.  I'll machine quilt this one myself, keeping it simple... unless I stare at it long enough to change my mind again!   Geeeezzzzz, I may have this one done before December 1st!  

Okay, let's hear it!  How did you spend your Friday night?  Did you stare at a project long enough and decide you needed to change fabrics?  Or is it just me?



 

17 comments:

  1. Oh it's so pretty! But yeah, I know what you mean about staring! My friends like to make comments (under their breath) about my OCD fabric decisions! LOL Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I was giggling at your creative alterations...isn't it fun!?
    You inspired me to try something similar for a guild challenge...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this quilt kit at the Grand Rapids show and thought is was adorable. I didn't buy it, but seeing yours makes me think I should/could do it before this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was recovering from my day out at Junk Jubilee with you! I also crocheted two more headbands for Christmas gifts....yippy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so adorable!! I love the changes you made.
    I hand quilted while watching Hoffa last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking the fabrics is part of the fun and now yours is unique and very pretty, too! My Friday night sewing was finally stitching up a challenge. I had already agonized long enough over what I was going to do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it ! Very cute ! I spent my Friday working on my Vintage Rouge. I plan on finishing the invisible machine applique today and get this quilt all sewn together

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sweet! Too funny about your changes! That's why I don't buy kits anymore, just the pattern, even though kits are oh so tempting.:) Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been waiting anxiously/patiently for you to start this fabulous project. I absolutely love it - changes and all. LOL Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have described precisely why I don't buy kits. Let me buy the pattern and wrestle with my own fabric decisions. This looks very good, Kathy. You did a nice job of switching. : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a comment typed just a second ago and it disappeared somewhere so apologies if I repeat myself lol. I love the fabrics your have used in your project and Chrissy stuff is always fun to be working on at this time of year. Your blog has some wonderful projects happening too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Christmas project. Nice job with the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the choice and changes you made. You have a gorgeous blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was just you this week! I was busy with my lovely middle daughter, home for a week from college...yippee! I am trying to get a little smocking done this morning for a gift for my new niece. I bet I will be working on next Friday! I am not as quick as I used to be! LOL. Love your little quilt and the fabrics look great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful project. Love the colors. I was working Friday night so I did my hand piecing on Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I adore your "Believe"...I think you did a fabulous job of choosing fabrics that work so well with the others...well done!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!