A gifted-to-me dainty wool wreath, and the first flannel mini quilt I made... two of my favorite things this holiday season!

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A New Favorite Quilt Shop!

It was a whirlwind four day trip to Wisconsin to spend time with my siblings, celebrate my Mom's 89th birthday, (she loved her candle mat and leaf covered candle holder from the great grandchildren!), and cheer on the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field!  And yes, I squeezed in visits to a couple of quilt shops!  Time well spent, all four days through!

Leaving Iowa early Saturday morning I navigated my way to Sun Prairie, east of Madison, to visit the highly recommended J J Stitches.  I was not disappointed.  Let's just say I knew I was in trouble the minute I walked in the door!

(I should mention that I asked if I could take pictures and I was graciously granted permission to do so!)


A grand selection of wool in an array of colors, grace the walls to the right of the door.  Fat eighths, quarters, and bundled packs sit atop numerous bolts of solid, striped, and plaid wools just waiting for the desired yardage to be cut.

Once upon a time... there was enough time


Lovin' that cheddar for sashing and border!

Bolts of cotton fabric beckon you to take-your-time browsing, and your eyes try hard to NOT miss a thing!


Metal trays hold fat quarters cut from the bolts they sit on top of, making it easy to see the entire line of fabric, and even easier to add to your already over-flowing stash at home!


I love how the fabric is draped over the top of the bolt!  It reminds me of the fabric stores I visited as a child with my Mom and Grandma.  It really allows you to see the design of the fabric.  Not to mention how great it feels to extend your hand, palm up, and gently brush bolt after bolt after bolt as you walk down the aisle!  (Clean hands only, please!)


What can be said about the shop models and display pieces?  Will  quilter eye candy do?




Old suitcases stacked underneath the fabric shelves house the patterns, instructions, fabric, and other supplies needed for the stores workshops.  Each suitcase is tagged with a number that correlates to the project, making it easy for the employees to find it as customers sign up.  Smart, and oh so charming!


I snapped just one picture of the Christmas room, but it's so much better if you are there!


There is another entire back room devoted to 30's fabric, pastels, and children fabrics!  I didn't get a picture, which means you'll have to take a trip there to witness it for yourself!

Did I purchase some goodies?  Well, wouldn't you?

Some pretty reds, more black, gold, and rusty reds for my
THQA blocks, and some neutrals.  The red fabric runner
underneath is about 18" wide... perfect for the top of a
 old whitewashed cabinet in my living room.

I will post about the other shop I visited in the next day or so.  I need to spend some time in my sewing room... we missed each other!


 

19 comments:

  1. Oh, Kathy, I am jealous. I have never been to this shop and most likely will never get there, but I am aware of it. Some time ago Julie, at Me and My Stitches blog, went on a road trip that included this shop. If you know Julie, you know she usually forgets to take pictures, but she got several in this shop and I fell in love. I even called the store to try and get the pattern for one of the quilts hanging on the wall. Their customer service was excellent. I was impressed.
    I LOVE the fabrics you selected--recognize a few from my own stash.
    Look forward to seeing the "other" shop! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see that you are home safe and didn't get lost and travel toward Canada like someone we know.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Wow!! That shop is fabulous. I wouldn't know where to start looking or what to choose. I love the fabric selection you brought home. I think you were very restrained given the temptation. I'm putting Sun Prairie on my list of perfect places to visit.. if I ever win the Lottery that is ;o) Thanks for the shop tour... loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like fun, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you had a wonderful visit back home with family!
    What an amazing Quilt shop! Thanks for sharing all those wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a lovely shop! This is one I'm definitely visiting when we get to Wisconsin this winter! What. Great display of quilter's heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite shops too!!! Love that place!!! I swear its so homey, I could move right in! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great shop! It is definitely my kind of shop. Too bad I'm trying not to buy fabric for a while. I do have a couple of the fabric you got there, however. I seem to "need" to buy fabric every once in a while. Hee Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! Looks like a great shop! They came to the Des Moines Show and I found quite a few goodies in their booth! Very nice gals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. JJStitches is my favorite quilt shop ever! My sister lives near Madison and I go as often as I can. Not sure what the bigger draw is--my sister or the quilt shop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend and I were on a quilt tour almost 10 years ago and this was one of our favorite stops. OMG, what a terrific shop. I keep saying I'm going to save my pennies, nickles and dimes so I can visit again. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like such a beautiful quilt shop!!! Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't been to JJ Stitches in years, but looks like I need to visit again. Love all the cheddar in the quilts. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Happy Birthday to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhhhh, nice shop visit you made :) What a lovely shop!! Love their shop models on display a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the turkey in your header picture. I am in the mood for some turkey right now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like a great shop and i LOVE your purchases!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOOKS WONDERFUL, KATHY!!! THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR PICTURES.

    :) CAROLYN

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have two favorite shops in Wisconsin, Country Sampler and JJ Stitches. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to that shop, but what quilter wouldn't? Your pictures make me want to go back, soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderator is on. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoy reading your comments and will do my best to respond in a timely fashion. Come again!